22 May 2009

In the Kitchen, Late at Night

In the Kitchen, Late at Night

everyone is sleeping
in this house certainly
in the world outside seemingly
all, of course, except me

as the night transforms 
into early morning
I cannot sleep
I am compelled to work

not by anyone else
only by myself and
my obsession with
not facing the next day

in the kitchen are dishes
pots and pans and silverware too
from the dinner you made
and we all here ate

and I find that 
before I can allow myself
to lay down next to you
and drift into slumber beside you

I must empty the dishwasher
last night's dishes now clean if not all dry
run the hot water in the sink
into a pot full of knives and forks and spoons

I rinse each dish 
I scrub some that will be a problem
and I  put them in the dishwasher
add the Dawn close the door and start it up

and as the dishes are doused with water
I am doused with sleepiness 
that now feel a satisfaction 
and can join you at last

©2009-Art Belliveau

No comments: