18 May 2009

The Meaning of Meaning


I sit down with the intention
to write a poem
this poem, actually

I want a poem to capture for myself
and any who may read it
my take on the essence of the world 

I drift off, eyes slightly unfocused
jaw starting to hang down
maybe in a creative fog
maybe just trying to stay awake

I stare at the clouds through 
the open windows behind the tv
looking for metaphors 
searching for meaning

My thoughts are obliterated
concentration destroyed
the well ordered words I was constructing
fall to ruin

Molly, my daughter, 
all of five years old
runs into the room looking for me
talking at full volume
with gusts of up to 100 words a minute

She misses me and wants me
to come with her and visit the
tent in her playroom
to see how well decorated it is

She also has to let me know
all about the three-legged dog 
she just saw on Animal Planet
and how it had lost its right front leg
holding out her own right arm
and making cutting motions with the left

Mometarilty annoyance rushes through me
my budding creation of words and phrases
dissolved into nothingness
not even remembering where I had planned 
to start--all gone

But then it hits me hard
that poetical epiphany
where before I was searching for meaning
by looking outside my window
and attempting to construct it on my own

I now had that meaning
rush into the room on her own
for the lines I could have created
based on my observation of clouds
cannot compare to the actual living
of life with my family

©2009-Art Belliveau

No comments: