12 July 2009

Elegy for Bonnie

Elegy for Bonnie

soft, sad beagle eyes
staring at me
just watching
tail wagging as I near
head popping up, alert
wanting me to pay attention
coming to me as I sit
putting her head beneath my hand
willing me to get the idea
and start scratching

eating furtively, timidly
stopping if I get too close
wanting reassurance it’s okay to eat more
each encouragement lasting for just one bite
then looking up again
as if for permission
onece again

wanting out
needing out
dancing with impatience
in front of me
as much as saying, “Pay attention!”
relief streaming from her
as I let her into the backyard

wanting in
so grateful when I open the door
tail wagging, whole back end wagging
head down, grinning, sneezing and snuffling
taking care when crossing the door
afraid her former human will hurt her again
relived that I am here instead

rolling on her back
exposing her stomach
waiting to be scratched
trusting and loving

still living in memory
still alive in my heart


©2009-Art Belliveau

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Art, I'm sorry to hear about this. My condolences.