25 February 2010

Bailey's Gone 2/23/10

I usually don’t make comments here, I try to just let the poems speak for themselves, but this is the exception. A little over a month ago, one of our dogs died. We had Baily for 14 years. Molly knew her since she first came home. Recently Molly told me she wanted to write a poem with me about how she felt about Bailey being gone. We talked and I took down what she said in my notebook. The poem here is all her words. All I did was arrange the lines.

I feel like part of my heart’s broken off,
Because part of my family is gone.
I’m starting to forget what it felt like,
When you licked my face at night.
Whenever I come home--
It just doesn’t feel right.
It feels like something is missing,
At the end of the day.

©2010-Molly Belliveau and her daddy

No comments: